We all have that one friend that updates the funniest, the dopest WhatsApp status. But the way WhatsApp was designed, you cannot download or save the WhatsApp status to your phone.
However, in this article, you will learn how to save WhatsApp status on your device.
- 1 What is a WhatsApp Status?
- 2 How to Save WhatsApp Status Without an App
- 3 How to Save Status with WhatsApp Status Saver App (Android)
- 4 How to Save WhatsApp Status on iPhone
- 5 How to Save WhatsApp Status via WhatsApp web
What is a WhatsApp Status?
I believe everyone reading this should know what a WhatsApp status is. If you don’t, let me bring you out of the dark.
WhatsApp status is a feature on WhatsApp that lets you or anyone share photos, text, videos, and GIF pictures that disappear after 24 hours. The WhatsApp status feature was introduced on February 24, 2017.
You can find WhatsApp status by clicking on the “Status” tab on your mobile phone or the broken circle on WhatsApp web app.
Now, back to the tutorial.
There are two ways to save WhatsApp status on your phone. It’s either you find it in your phone’s file manager or you use a WhatsApp status App.
How to Save WhatsApp Status Without an App
Before I go on to explain how to do this, I need to explain something to you.
WhatsApp is an end-to-end encrypted messaging app; it does not store messages on any server, unlike Telegram. If WhatsApp doesn’t save text messages, videos, and images on its servers, then where are all the text and media files?
When you download and install WhatsApp, it creates a folder on your mobile device. All the text messages you have sent, images or videos you have received and WhatsApp status is somewhere in this folder.
The difference between the WhatsApp status and other media files on WhatsApp is; WhatsApp status is hidden in your phone folder and automatically deleted after 24 hours from your phone.
So how do you locate and save the damn thing?
Step 1: View the WhatsApp Status
First of all, you have to view the WhatsApp status you want to save on WhatsApp. When you view the status, it automatically saves it in the WhatsApp folder on your phone. The next step will be to locate this folder on your phone.
Step 2: Open your File Manager and locate the WhatsApp folder
If you are on the latest version of Android, you can find the WhatsApp folder by following going to All files > Internal storage > Android > Media.
Open com.whatsapp folder for the regular WhatsApp or com.whatsapp.w4b for WhatsApp Business.
Open the next WhatsApp folder and click on Media.
Step 3: Enable Show Hidden Files
Android automatically hides hidden files in the file manager. You can unhide the hidden files by clicking on the three dots at the top right corner, click on show and select show hidden files. See the Gif image below to understand better.
Step 4: Open the .Status Folder
The .status folder is where all the WhatsApp statuses you have viewed in the last 24 hours are saved. This folder is hidden by default unless you enable show hidden files in your file manager.
Step 5: Locate the WhatsApp Status you want to Save and Copy to Another Folder
To retain the picture or video on your phone, you have to copy it to another folder. You can move to your picture or video folder. You can also create a new folder named Saved status and copy any WhatsApp status you want to save there.
One of the reasons I recommend this step is to reduce the number of apps on your phone. Too many apps can make your phone slow.
If the first step looks so stressful, the second method is for you.
How to Save Status with WhatsApp Status Saver App (Android)
In this method, you only need to download the WhatsApp status saver app that does all the job for you.
- Download and install a WhatsApp status app (links below).
- View the WhatsApp statuses you want to save.
- Open the Whats App status saver app to view all the statuses.
- Open the status you want to save.
- Click on the options button and select save.
There are many WhatsApp status status saver app on the play store that works just fine. Here are a few of them;
Best WhatsApp Status Saver Apps for Android
With over 1 million downloads and a 4.6 rating on the google play store, this WhatsApp status app is one of the best. The reviews from users are also awesome. The app maker says it is the only WhatsApp status app that saves from five different kinds of WhatsApp; The normal WhatsApp, G.B WhatsApp statuses, WhatsApp Business Statuses, statuses from parallel space and parallel space lite.
This app also comes with an image or video viewer so that you can preview it before downloading. There are adverts on this app; however, you can remove the adverts by paying a one-time fee of 820 Naira.
This WhatsApp status saver app has over 10 million downloads in the google play store. It supports English, Hindi, Marathi, Gujarati, Tamil, Telugu, Punjabi, Kannada, Malayalam, Odia languages. It also has an inbuilt gallery viewer with a file size of just 1.9MB.
It comes with adverts and there is no option to remove the advert. If you are okay with the ads, this is the best bet.
This has the least downloads but it also does the same job – save WhatsApp status. It has the same features as the rest, contains adverts and the file size is 2.5 MB.
So, I have given you the list of Android WhatsApp status saver apps. Click on any one of your choices to download.
How to Save WhatsApp Status on iPhone
To save a WhatsApp status on an iPhone, there are two options available. It’s either your screenshot the picture, screen record for videos, crop and edit or use WhatsApp++ for Iphone.
Save WhatsApp Status without Jailbreaking
WhatsApp++ is an unofficial tweaked version of WhatsApp for iOS. It helps you save WhatsApp status on iOS devices. This app is not on the app store so you have to Jailbreak your device to use it.
However, you can still use this app without jailbreaking by using a third party platform called Buildstore. Buildstore is a paid platform, users have to pay $11.99 annually to use it.
- Uninstall the original WhatsApp on your iOS device.
- Sign up for a Buildstore account and register your iOS device.
- Open Safari browser and visit the WhatsApp++ page (you must be logged in to Buildstore).
- Tap the install button and wait for it to install.
- Register on WhatsApp with your phone number.
- Open WhatsApp++, tap the WhatsApp status tab and view the status you want to save.
- While viewing the Image or Video, tap on the download button in the bottom-right corner.
The video or picture will be downloaded to your iOS camera roll where you can view it.
Save WhatsApp status with Jailbroken Device
If you have a Jailbroken iOS device and a computer, follow the steps below to do this;
- Visit iOSninja to download WhatsApp++ IPA file. Click on the green download button to download.
- Download Cydia Impactor to your computer.
- Connect your iOS device to your computer using a USB cable.
- Open the Cydia Impactor software you just downloaded.
- Drag and drop the WhatsApp++ file into Cydia Impactor.
- Cydia will request for your Apple ID and password. Enter your Apple ID (you could create a new Apple ID if you are not comfortable with entering your original ID into a third party software).
- After the app is installed, navigate to Settings –> General –> Profiles –> Find the profile with your Apple ID and open.
- Tap the trust button to approve.
- Go back to your home screen and open WhatsApp++.
- Tap the WhatsApp status tab and view the status you want to save.
- While viewing the Image or Video, tap on the download button in the bottom-right corner.
There’s another method to save WhatsApp statuses on your Jailbroken device, you won’t have to go through all the steps above but it will cost you a little money.
- Open Cydia on your iOS device.
- Navigate to the search tab and search for WA Status Saver. Tap on it to open.
- WA Status saver is a paid app; It will cost you 1.99$. Tap the purchase button to buy.
- After you have paid for WA Status Saver, tap on “install”, then press “confirm” to install the package.
- Open WhatsApp on your iOS device.
- View the status you want to save and tap on the save button to save the picture or video to your iPhone.
How to Save WhatsApp Status via WhatsApp web
WhatsApp web allows you to view WhatsApp on your computer. You can save WhatsApp status on your computer without any third-party software.
If you don’t like the iOS method above but you have a computer; you could try this method instead.
- Visit web.whatsapp.com on your computer.
- Open WhatsApp on your phone.
- Tap the three dots at the top-right side.
- Click on WhatsApp web.
- Point the camera to the QR code on your computer screen.
- Once WhatsApp connects, click on the status tab (the broken circle).
- View the WhatsApp status you want to save, right click with your mouse and click “save as”.
There you have it. You no longer have to message your friends telling them to DM their status update. Just grab it with any of the method suitable for you and enjoy.
Thank you for reading this article. We hope you have learnt how to save WhatsApp status on any device. You can also check our article on how to post on Instagram from desktop and how to run multiple instances of Google chrome.
If you enjoyed this article, then join our Telegram channel and subscribe via email for more updates like this.